WHY??

I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while. The idea of eating animals does not sit well with me, personally (though I have no moral objection to it for others). And, this year, as I prepared my High Holiday sermon (see link at the end of this paragraph or full text below), getting to challenge my congregation to take on additional mitzvot (commandments) in their lives, I realized that I have been disingenuous. So, I realized that it had to be me first: I must take on a big change in my life before I ask my community to do the same.

So, no more delays, no more excuses. No more meat, no more fish. That's my story (in brief). I'd love to hear yours!

(Link to Rosh Hashanah sermon on the Westchester Jewish Center website: http://www.wjcenter.org/educating_ourselves/ritual_library.php?page=13466)

Sunday, September 19, 2010

So far, so good

So, my tenure as a vegetarian officially began eleven days ago -- the first day of Rosh Hashanah. So far, so good. No real temptations and great accommodations from those who have hosted me for meals (thank you!). Of course, after talking with a few other vegetarians, I realize that Pesah WILL be hard! Also, Hannah wanted to take me out for a birthday dinner to one of the local kosher restaurants. But, there really wasn't any point... what would I eat that would make it worth it? :)

We'll see how the limited diet goes on Sukkot. But, to this point, I only feel good about the decision.

3 comments:

  1. Chag Sameach Rabbi- Too bad you didn't try Eden Wok and get just veggie dishes (they'll leave off meat/chicken.fish etc) or one of their tofu dishes. Also Open Table in Pelham has lots of salads, felafel, etc.. There are kosher veggie restaurants in NYC too. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday and congratulations also on your new status as a vegetarian!

    After reading the Rosh HaShanah sermon, I'm still not sure what exactly it was that didn't feel right about eating meat. It's not even one of the 613 Mitzvot... I'm not a vegetarian, but I won't be insulted whatever the reason. It would be great to see a posting about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the request about posting what did not feel right. I'll do that soon.

    ReplyDelete